Black River High School
Calculus is the Mathematics of Change.
We no longer are concerned with the question of "Where is the function at any particular time" but of "How is it changing and how has it accumulated change to become what it is now?"
Calculus 9e, Larson. Holt, McDougal Publishing.
Graduation Requirements/Enduring Proficiencies:
There are no graduation requirements in this course.
Course Content Proficiencies (called "Enduring Understandings" by the College Board.)
Prerequisite Proficiencies for Other Classes
This course is a prerequisite for AP Calculus.
Assignment Grading (Grades are posted to PowerSchool)
Formative Assignments: These are used for students to learn and practice the knowledge needed to meet a proficiency. Parents, teachers, and students use the results of these formative assessments to track student progress and their knowledge of the content/skills being covered in class. Scores on formative assessments have no effect on the grade in a course or the transcript.
Summative Assignments: These are used to determine whether or not a student has met a proficiency. Successful completion of all specified proficiencies is required for course credit. Summatives will be evaluated using a scoring rubric that pertains to each proficiency, and the student will be assigned one of the following scores:
- Proficient With Distinction - The student has gone above and beyond the target.
- Proficient - The student is competent in the skill and has met the proficiency.
- Approaching Proficient - The student has demonstrated limited ability to employ strategies needed to understand the skill.
- Emerging - The student is attempting the skill.
- Not Attempted - The student has not begun learning this material yet.
TO PASS THE COURSE, a student must be Proficient or Proficient with Distinction for the Course Content Proficiencies in the table above.
Students are allowed to retake any summative assessment, given that they meet with the teacher and complete remedial work.
- While not encouraged, late work will be accepted.
- A grade of zero will be entered into the grade book for a Formative Assignment and a “Not Attempted” score will be recorded for Summative Assignments until the work is submitted.
- If a student is absent, they must schedule a time outside of class to acquire any missing work. It is suggested that the student e-mail me at email@example.com asking for missed work.
The school policy on cheating/plagiarism in the student handbook will be strictly followed.
Teacher Contact Information
Mr. Milne's email: firstname.lastname@example.org