Black River High School
This physics course is designed for students who are interested in the sciences as well as those who might study engineering or science in college. Topics will include:
- Newtonian Mechanics
- Energy and Heat
- Waves and Electromagnetic Radiation
- Engineering Design Basics.
Physics, Serway & Faughn, copyright 2012. Holt, McDougal Publishing.
Graduation Requirements/Enduring Proficiencies:
There are no graduation requirements in this course.
Course Content Proficiencies
Prerequisite Proficiencies for Other Classes
This course is a prerequisite for AP Physics.
Assignment Grading (Grades are posted to PowerSchool)
Formative Assignments: These are used for students to learn and practice the knowledge needed to meet a proficiency. Parents, teachers, and students use the results of these formative assessments to track student progress and their knowledge of the content/skills being covered in class. Scores on formative assessments have no effect on the grade in a course or the transcript.
Summative Assignments: These are used to determine whether or not a student has met a proficiency. Successful completion of all specified proficiencies is required for course credit. Summatives will be evaluated using a scoring rubric that pertains to each proficiency, and the student will be assigned one of the following scores:
- Proficient With Distinction - The student has gone above and beyond the target.
- Proficient - The student is competent in the skill and has met the proficiency.
- Approaching Proficient - The student has demonstrated limited ability to employ strategies needed to understand the skill.
- Emerging - The student is attempting the skill.
- Not Attempted - The student has not begun learning this material yet.
TO PASS THE COURSE, a student must be Proficient or Proficient with Distinction for the Course Content Proficiencies in the table above.
Students are allowed to retake any summative assessment, given that they meet with the teacher and complete remedial work.
- While not encouraged, late work will be accepted.
- A grade of zero will be entered into the grade book for a Formative Assignment and a “Not Attempted” score will be recorded for Summative Assignments until the work is submitted.
- If a student is absent, they must schedule a time outside of class to acquire any missing work. It is suggested that the student e-mail me at email@example.com asking for missed work.
Research Independent Investigative Project (RIIP)
An Independent Investigation (RIIP) of the students’ choice will be completed by each student for the Fall or Spring Showcase.
The school policy on cheating/plagiarism in the student handbook will be strictly followed.
Teacher Contact Information
Mr. Milne's email: firstname.lastname@example.org